Re: Calling All Opinionated ******** ....

Jochem Maas wrote:
hi people,

I'm in the market for a new framework/toolkit/whatever-you-want-to-call-it.
I've been taking a good hard look at the Zend Framework - if nothing else the docs
are very impressive.

I'd like to hear from people who have or are using ZF with regard to their
experiences, dislikes, likes, problems, new found fame and fortune, etc ... but
only if it concerns ZF.

I don't need to hear stuff like 'use XYZ it's great' - finding php frameworks/CMS/etc is easy ... figuring out which are best of breed is another matter, if only because it involves reading zillions of lines of code and documentation. besides I find that you only ever get bitten in the ass by short-comings and bugs when your 80% into the project that needs to be online yesterday and you knee deep in a nightmare requirements
change or tackling some PITA performance issue.

so people, roll out your ZF love stories and nightmares - spare no details - share the
knowledge. or something :-)

tia,
Jochem

Jochem,

You develop sites in php, zend make php, zend have a framework, so that may aswell be "the" php framework - it's great, well coded, doc'd and stable, and doesn't try to do anything too fancy.

At the end of the day the ZF framework is a developer's framework, use it if you want to make sensible, structured OO php applications to a high standard, use something else if you want to quickly make "it'll do" applications in an webdev sweat shop.

ps: get zend studio and integrate it with svn aswell - zend studio cuts hours out your dev time.

Nathan