Re: [Slightly OT] Apple MacBook MAMP and Logic

On 31/01/2008, Richard Lynch <ceo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, January 31, 2008 11:29 am, Tom Chubb wrote:
> > I am looking to buy a Mac in a couple of weeks primarily for writing
> > music
> > using Apple Logic Studio 8 which will run absolutely fine on a
> > MacBook.
> > However, I am considering installing something like MAMP and using
> > that as
> > my development server too at which point I'm wondering whether I
> > should
> > invest in a MacBook Pro or whether I can get away with the lower spec
> > MacBook.
> > So I guess what I'm asking is, does having Apache, MySQL & PHP
> > installed on
> > a Mac use much system resources?
>
> They will use virtually NO system resources until you start developing
> something that, errr, uses a lot of resources... :-)
>
> If you load up a million-row database and start writing monster select
> queries in PHP against it, you'll probably strain any laptop.
>
> If you just install them and develop some simple pages with modest
> queries, I don't think you can BUY a new laptop that won't handle
> that.
>
> If you're doing music, get a bigger hard drive.  You'll need it.
>
> --
> Some people have a "gift" link here.
> Know what I want?
> I want you to buy a CD from some indie artist.
> http://cdbaby.com/from/lynch
> Yeah, I get a buck. So?

Thanks for all your responses.
Rich, I guess you're right! Anyway PHP is only a hobby for personal sites,
so I shouldn't really worry too much but wanted to get a general feel from
people.
The only big advantage for the MBP is that it has Firewire 800 which would
be better for that big hard-drive that I'll need ;)