Re: curl timeout vs socket timeout

Ravi Menon wrote:
Hi,

We have two versions of client code, one using curl, and other one
using raw sockets via fsockopen(), and
we use the following code to set the i/o timeouts:

1) curl:

.
.
curl_setopt( $handle, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT, 1 );

From the manual
CURLOPT_TIMEOUT
The maximum number of seconds to allow cURL functions to execute.

Notice: "functions", I would take this as the entire process.

.
.
$resp = curl_exec($handle)

2) sockets:

stream_set_timeout( $sock, 1);

From the manual

Set timeout period on a stream

This would tell me that it is on the entire process, not just one function call like fwrite() or fread().

Here we use frwrite() and fread() to send the request and read the
response respectively.

In (1),  how is the timeout applied - is it:

a) timeout includes the entire curl_exec() call - the combined socket
write()  ( to send the request ) and
    the  read() ( read the response ) calls.

or

True for both

b) timeout is independently applied to write() and read() end respectively.

False for both

Some of our tests seem to indicate it is (a).

In (2), I am assuming the stream timeout is applied at each i/o call
independently for fwrite() and fread() - I am pretty
much certain on this as this is how it would map to underlying C calls.....

It will be good to get a confirmation on our doubts.

Thanks,
Ravi

This is what I have experienced at least.

--
Jim Lucas

   "Some men are born to greatness, some achieve greatness,
       and some have greatness thrust upon them."

Twelfth Night, Act II, Scene V
    by William Shakespeare