Re: determine file-upload's tmp-filename

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 15:26 -0500, Nathan Nobbe wrote:
> On Jan 28, 2008 2:50 PM, Michael Fischer <michi.fischer@xxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>         well, i agree with you - the browser should provide some sort
>         of
>         functionality to find out the amount of data already sent. but
>         i don't
>         know any browser that does.
>
>         all the php upload meters that i found on google either
>         require to
>         patch php or use perl.
>

> its a shame javascript cant hook into the local filesystem, but i
> think its
> just a matter of time until we get there.
> http://labs.mozilla.com/2007/10/prism/
>
> anyway im pretty sure you can get this effect w/ a flash plugin, that
> is a
> progress meter that doesnt have to poll the webserver for status info,
> if
> thats what ur after..
>
> -nathan
hm, i think that access to the local filesystem in javascript would be a
serious security issue. it would be enough if the browser "knew" how
much data it has already sent.

i know "all" the solutions in flash and java - they require the user to
have some kind of browser-plugin installed.

it's not so much that i need this desperately for a project - i just
tried to do an upload-meter out of interest and hit that problem.

lg, Michi
--
Sautergasse 27-29/35
1160 Wien