Re: including files outside of document root

On Jan 23, 2008 2:56 PM, Jason Pruim <japruim@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> that's why I made my decision. Not to say it's the right one, just a
> step in the right direction. To me it also seems more portable across
> hosts to have access outside of your webroot vs. access to .htaccess

    It's far more portable, because every HTTP server out there knows
how to handle paths, but only Apache knows how to handle an .htaccess
file.  So you can forget being able to use that same code on IIS,
tinyhttpd, Boa, AnalogX SimpleServer:WWW (an old favorite!), et
cetera.  If it only works with one specific HTTP server, that's a
serious limit.

--
</Dan>

Daniel P. Brown
Senior Unix Geek and #1 Rated "Year's Coolest Guy" By Self Since
Nineteen-Seventy-[mumble].