Re: Digital Downloads and Scale

On Sun, January 20, 2008 1:57 pm, dg wrote:
> I'd appreciate any insights, or source suggestions regarding site
> traffic and necessary adjustments.
>
> For example, I'm using a simple digital download page for an indie
> artist.  Not a ton of traffic, not a ton of concurrent requests.
>
> Was thinking about introducing something similar for a bigger
> artist(though still not huge) and I'm concerned for any trouble more
> demand might create.  On the web server side, I'm not worried, as it's
> on a Pair high volume account.

Define "still not huge" for us; Name the artist.

Almost for sure, a Pair high volume account will be MORE than enough
for "still not huge", but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

You probably should consider just how many concurrent requests you
expect, and then engineer for 10X that to be safe.

Unless it's really huge, and you'd be engineering for more like 3X or 5X.

> I am concerned where I might need back-ups or adjustments to code and
> database queries. Not quite sure where to start in researching this -
> any ideas or keywords would be appreciated.

You may or may not need distributed servers and all that.

But you'll have to define:
  how many requests per second you expect to handle
  how mission-critical it is to not be down more than X seconds
  just how DB-heavy is the site

If it's JUST the digital downloads that need to scale out, and the
site itself doesn't, you can consider hosting the digital content on
multiple servers with akami or a similar service.

Without at least that much, it's like asking how long a piece of rope
you need to rappel down a mountain, without saying which mountain...
:-)

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?