Re: POST/GET into variables

On Jan 21, 2008 10:19 AM, Eric Butera <eric.butera@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't think making a single generic function to iterate over every
> value in the GET/POST arrays is a very good idea.  Each field on a
> form can contain very different pieces of data that should be handed
> quite differently.  I know you did point out that "this is just an
> example," but nonetheless your class is intended to iterate over
> everything with a generic solution.

i think applying trim() to all input is appropriate.

> Say you have three fields: name, email, and comments textarea.  On the
> back end your script should know that the three different fields have
> different character limits and they should also be validated
> differently.  The email should be checked to make sure it is a valid
> email address.  The two other fields can have constraints like the
> name field has to be between 4 characters and a max of 64.  Then the
> comments has a minimum of 1 and a max of 65535.  How do you accomplish
> this with one blanket function without passing in a massive array of
> options.

the class i supplied could easily be extended to accept a such a
configuration array,
which i see no problem with either.  its the same approach taken by one of
the functions
in the filter extension you mentioned.
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.filter-input-array.php
this was not designed to be some end-all-be-all solution, it was merely an
example
which illustrated primarily how to convert an array of values into first
class variables.
i was also unaware of the extract() function.

> These libraries have many eyes on them and are tested pretty well.  To
> forego all this work and start your own really requires a bigger
> effort than most people realize.

probly, using existing, working tools is the best choice for most cases.
taking code from somebody writing it at 2 in the morning might not be so
smart ;)
really, i was just trying to answer the question at hand, i believe i did
that.

[1] http://php.net/filter
> [2] http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/zend.filter.html
> [3] http://stubbles.net/wiki/Docs/Validators

thank you for the references, in particular, i was unaware of the filter
extension,
ill give that a closer look.

-nathan