Re: general time question

On Jan 20, 2008 8:36 PM, Jochem Maas <jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> now for the juicy bit - you have *no* garantee that the system clock and/or
> the timezone setting on the client machine is anything like correct. actually
> the chances that it is not are quite high - disregarding idiots, just think of
> people who have to screw their clock/TZ to accomodate some other application and
> more likely, people on the road, using laptops ... I don't bother to change my
> TZ or clock just because I went to see a friend somewhere far away from home .. do you?

    A very important point to expand on this is also that clocks
easily go out of sync, even in this day and age.  For example, I have
one box that somehow loses (on average) seven minutes over a
three-week span.  Probably something wrong with the hardware, I'm
sure, and I keep it running just because it's a puzzle for me.
However, while it may be an extreme case, it's by no means a rare
case.  Unless everyone keeps in sync with the same atomic clock,
you'll always have wide variances.  And even if they do sync up, they
would have to do so frequently (i.e. - daily).

--
</Dan>

Daniel P. Brown
Senior Unix Geek and #1 Rated "Year's Coolest Guy" By Self Since
Nineteen-Seventy-[mumble].