Re: Digital Downloads and Scale

On Jan 20, 2008 8:43 PM, Jochem Maas <jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> get a book? I happen to be rereading "building scalable websites" by Carl
> Henderson ... something like that might help you to get a better idea of
> what you might be facing.

wow, you read books too?  i though i was the only one!

dg,
probly you shouldnt worry a whole lot until you get the client up and
running.
just make sure your code is decent and the database is indexed.  per backups
of the database, if youre running mysql, sja is a nice little backup utility
written
in java.
http://www.webyog.com/en/download_form.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.webyog.com%2Fdownloads%2Fsja615.tar.gz

you can cron the backups easily.  its nothing sophisticated, but it will
give you
the ability to backup your data.  when it comes to tuning a database for
high
performance, well, i think that goes a bit beyond the scope of this list.
and probly
you will know when you really need it ;)

-nathan