Re: passing _GET values to _POST

On Mon, January 7, 2008 7:20 pm, Mary Anderson wrote:

EVERY http request is totally separate and independent of any other
http request, unless YOU specifically code something in the URL or
SESSION to tie them together.

>     I thought I could just give re_reference_id to get_collection as
> an
> url variable.

You could, but it would have to be part of the ACTION="..." URL in
order to get passed on to the next HTTP request.

>  Unfortunately, this doesn't work.  Pushing the submit
> button to actually select the data series of interest causes the $_GET
> to be forgotten.  Printing the value of re_reference_id in a hidden
> inpput field -- which I thought for sure would end up in the $_POST
> array when I hit the get_data_series submit button doesn't work
> either.

This should have worked.

Review it and see what is in $_POST with:
<?php var_dump($_POST);?>

> Neither does just saying $_POST['re_reference_id'] = $re_reference_id.

You can do that in the first script, but it won't affect the next one.

And it's probably a Bad Idea to cram things into $_POST or other
built-ins, as a matter of style.

>     Probably I should be using session variables here.  But I think
> they
> will have their own problems since they will be written on
> edit_reference.php, remembered long after the call to get_collections,
> and may cause trouble later.

You would have to be sure that you give meaninful shelf-life and names
to the data you choose to put in $_SESSION, and not twist yourself
into knots by snarling up your own data...

But it works a treat if you plan that part out.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?