PHTML files showing as blank pages

Hi,

  I'm having a problem getting .phtml files to display in a web browser. I
can successfully display a test.php page as per PHP install instructions but
the phtml files show up blank
(in firefox or IE).

I have added these entries to my apache httpd.conf:

LoadModule php5_module        modules/libphp5.so
AddHandler php5-script  .php .phtml
AddType text/html       .php .phtml
#AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .php3 .php4 .phtml (I tried with this
uncommented too and without the previous entry)

My system is: Apache/2.2.6 (Unix) PHP/5.2.5

The phtml files I am having the problem with are from an opensource project
called CDRTool
I believe other people can run this app fine so I believe my issue is a prob
with apache/php
(also because I've never configured apache/php before so its a fair shout
Ive done something
wrong! :P)

The one thing that looks odd to me as someone who hasnt done this before is
that all
the phtml files start with a line:

<?

Anyway, hopefully its an easy one to fix if ur an expert! Any help
appreciated!

thanks in advance, Andy.