Re: need opinions regarding php.ini

On Jan 5, 2008 2:35 AM, Afan Pasalic <afan@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hi,
> after my host moved my account from old server (shared hosting) with php
> 4.4.7, mysql 4.x to new one with php 5.x and mysql 5.x. nice. they did
> it fast and without problems.
> but then I realized that every folder has it's own php.ini file?!?
> I "talked" to them (live chat) about this and they told me "that is how
> our system is setup":
>
> "...
> afan [20:25]: why is now different then before?
> xxxx [20:25]: That is not different. That has always been the case.
> You may not have had a php.ini in every folder, but every folder still
> needed its own php.ini if you wanted to change the php settings.
> afan [20:27]: I don't understand why I should have php.ini in every
> folder? it's like having admin area for each folder?
> xxxx [20:28]: You don't have to if you don't want to, but that is how
> our system is setup, so unless you don't want to change settings for all
> of your folders, you'll want to leave those there.
> afan [20:29]: ok. in case I want to change something in php.ini, how to
> do it on all php.ini files?
> xxxx [20:29]: You would change one php.ini file, then visit the link I
> provided, and that will show you how to copy that to all folders.
> ..."
>
> and I got the link with script how to change EVERY php.ini on my account
> (with over 10 addon domain).
>
> I still think that's not correct. I need your opinion.

    I'm not entirely sure why your host found it necessary to provide
a php.ini file in every directory, but the fact is, it's safe to
delete all of them if you want.  They're just there to allow you to
override certain settings (INI_PERDIR settings, for example).

--
Daniel P. Brown
[Phone Numbers Go Here!]

If at first you don't succeed, stick to what you know best so that you
can make enough money to pay someone else to do it for you.