Re: PHP5 Speed Issues

Nathan Nobbe wrote:
On Dec 31, 2007 3:37 PM, Michael McGlothlin <michaelm@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:michaelm@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Richard Lynch wrote:
    > On Sat, December 22, 2007 12:25 pm, Sascha Braun wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Fellows,
    >>
    >> I figured out, that PHP5 runs faster when I am not inherit
    classes,
    >> I hope I use the right word.
    >>
    >> I mean the class sub_class extends main_class notation.
    >>
    >> As well I figured out, that I in most cases should references in
    >> foreach loops. like
    >>
    >> foreach($array as $key => &$value) {
    >>
    >> }
    >>
    >> Lots of memory is saved by that.
    >>
    >> Now I would like to know, what other speed improvements might be
    >> possible. What about autoload of classes, will it improve speed
    >> when I throw the code out?
    >>
    >> Are there other things I should take care of.
    >>
    >> I would like to know as much as possible. Please go deep into
    your-
    >> self and tell me every little thing on how you improved your
    applica-
    >> tions for speed and memory optimisation, to make this thread
    the best
    >> compendium on performance and memory optimisation.
    >>
    >> Thank you very much, fellows and a merry merry christmas!
    >>

    > I never optimize code unless there's a problem with its
    performance...

    > Why one would tweak code endlessly to maximize performance when
    that's
    > not needed is beyond me...
    >
    > But maybe I'm just a Luddite.

    Hardware is cheaper than man hours. Just throw more CPU power at the
    problem.

thats only true until poorly designed software cant be spread across machines
due to a monolithic nature.
get an opcode cache and index the database; that will probly absolve any noticeable
speed problems.

-nathan
Well obviously you can always write horrible code but if you write code that is easy to maintain it's usually not that kind of code.

--
Michael McGlothlin
Southwest Plumbing Supply