Re: Question about sqli class

On Dec 30, 2007 2:11 PM, alvaro <iorm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don´t know if this is the correct place to ask this questions but I
> haver some doubts about using mysqli class in php. I am designing a web
> place using wamp2 (php5, mysql 5.0.x ....). My databases have been done
> using phpmyadmin so they are "normal" mysql, I mean that I have done nothing
> with SQLITE. On the other hand, I am accessing to my databases and tables
> using mysqli class and methods  for example:
> $conn = new mysqli ( ..........)      (this is what I am using)
> I am using that because I read in the internet that mysqli methods where
> more efficient but I don´t know if it´s correct to use that methods with my
> mysql database (it runs perfect).
>
> so... is it correct?  supposing that it´s correct to use it......is it
> faster and better to use mysqli methods than using the functions that were
> used before these new classes appeared? <iorm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

i believe the main reason for mysqli being 'better' than mysql is the object
oriented approach to the api design.
there may be other optimizations under the hood, but i am not aware of any
off the top of my head (list: feel free to correct me).

as per your overall system design, deciding to go w/ mysqli comes down to a
few things
 - do you want to write all the sql by hand
 - do you plan on using a different database w/ the same system

there are more questions of course but anyway; what im getting at is you
might want to take a look at something like propel
http://propel.phpdb.org/trac/

there are similar systems out there, but to summarize their features they
essentially use a code generation paradigm to write
all the database i/o in your system on your behalf; then you can just start
using it.  it is customizable as well.
you will find pros / cons to such a system and a learning curve.  but mainly
i just want to acquaint you with such systems.

anyway if youre not going to use something like that id say shoot for mysqli
over mysql.

-nathan