Re: Re: [PHP-DEV] Sayonara PHP

On Dec 28, 2007 11:17 PM, Martin Alterisio <malterisio777@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2007/12/26, Colin Guthrie <gmane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> 3) I'm not so sure anymore if PHP is profitable as a language choice for
> web
> development. The small and medium projects market is becoming infested
> with
> developers who I cannot compete anymore in terms of cost, and software
> quality is something this market did not yet got a grasp on. Big projects
> market has scalability requirements that aren't easily met on PHP grounds,
> and if it does, the cost is code quality or performance, two things that
> this market doesn't easily overlook.

try telling that to yahoo, or wikipedia, or facebook..
no, php scales just fine.  the problem is most people dont put in the effort
learning
how to scale with php.  and for those people who sacrifice code quality,
well thats
their own decision and they should be aware of the consequences.  if a
business
owner is too niaeve to know, said business owner should be told by a
competent
developer or project manager what risks are being taken.

i would venture to say java or .net are potentially more costly depending on
what
your particular technology mix is.  really anything that you can sell, built
on open
source, should inherently be high margin products / services.

> Right now, the future of web development is mostly uncertain, too many
> things are happening too fast. If I had to I would bet on Java for server
> technology and Flash for client technology. The performance of Java6 have
> left PHP and the many other scripting languages panting for air way way
> behind. And its scripting API has engulfed all the good things about
> scripting languages into its domain. And yet the most important thing
> about
> Java is its scalability. Let's be honest, how can anyone expect to beat
> Sun
> in its own turf (networking)? Anyway, PHP developers, remember this word:
> "Quercus".

i know all about quercus.  im on the resin interest mailing list as well.
to be frank quercus has its own problems.
lets face it; java is serious.  there are many aspects of java i prefer over
php,
for example the comparatively clean apis provided in the standard libraries.
i dont see java doing so well on the web compared to php though, and i think
php is better suited for the web.  if you want to compare them overall in
terms of
what all they can do, eg.
daemons, desktop apps, applets and such; well i think its clear java has
more
and although php does have some ports to the desktop im not one to say
whether theyre any good as ive not used them.
however i shall not stray from my point which is php is well, and ill say
it,
*better* suited for the web (server side) than java.  it is also highly
scalable
albiet techniques that arent packaged with the language itself.

btw; i liked you comment about coding c like a cowbow to gain any notice
from the internals group ;)

-nathan