php.ini in php5.2.1

Hello;
I have not had the necessity to deal with php.ini files for some time.
Now, because I switch from Sendmail to Postfix on one system I
need to adjust the sendmail path variable. I cannot find a php.ini file
in the specified location. That is not a problem because I can use
ini_set(). What is puzzling is that my system,
I built and installed from source on a number of different systems and
seem to remember that the process creates a php.ini file. Maybe I have
it wrong but in the past I seem to remember being able to find one to
make sure register variables was set to off. (or maybe I ignored it because that is the default now). So, is the fact that this file is missing something
I should be concerned about?
PS; I have subscribed to the php-install list and get not responses to
my posts, or e-mails my ISP says contain viruses, possibly from a user
who requested I contact him (of her) off list.
Thanks
Jeff K