RE: Sayonara PHP

Well, my fellow countryman... one of my classmates at college had a saying:
"el hombre es un animal de costumbres" (translate it "you gringos" :) - no
offense). And I guess it's most of the time like that... we learn something,
we are never willing to unlearn it. But the truth is, there are at least as
many habits and learnt behaviors as people are there walking in the streets.
So, sometimes, we should be a bit more tolerant to "foreign habits" (unless
we are Micro$oft.. but even so...).

If my intuition is right you must come from the Java/C++ world (my bet is
java 80/20). Maybe you have evaluated the hassles of implementing namespaces
into PHP... and you have concluded it's not possible. Or maybe, that it will
be a "buggy implementation" in the end; like PHP 4 OOP (which doesn't look
like OOP at all). Maybe some old-seasoned gurus in the internals community
have set you apart, or have treated your opinions with contempt (this is
just my assumption, like most of this email's contents). So, you are now
assuming that you won't need PHP, and that it will 'die("alone")' like some
poem of your authorship stated in one of its verses. Yes, after all
developers find out the hassles of namespaces and type hinting in PHP, they
will give up... won't they? (just reading your mind... forgive my arrogance
and continue).

You know... I think I'm about your age (judging for the picture of yours at
phpclasses.org, if that's your picture). Maybe a bit younger, or a bit
older... but just a bit. And the thing is, I heard about two years ago or
so, a big buzz around a "PHP replacement". It was something about trains
(that's the farthest understanding I reached on it... "something about
trains"). I think it was called, railroad, or railway, or diamond on a
train... mmmm... nope, now I remember, it's "ruby on rails" (if you have a
sarcasm detector, use it now). Last time I checked, it was still alive...
arguably in a much more evolved fashion, and some (may I say "few"?) hosting
companies support it now. I don't know much about current statistics, but
I'm tempted to say that:
- There are many more Books on PHP than on RoR
- There are many more PHP hosting offers than RoR's counterpart (even if we
reduce the stats to PHP 5 - just a guess)
- There are many many more websites built on top of PHP than the RoR's
counterpart
- There are many many more extensions, APIs and Frameworks for PHP than for
RoR (actually, RoR IS a framework itself)
- There are many many more PHP developers than RoR developers
In the shared market niche, PHP has beaten java, coldfusion, asp, and perl,
which already existed. PHP has survived .Net rumbling, despite the Vb, C#,
J# or C++ flavors and the awesome Vi$ual $tudio IDE. And despite all the
predictions and prophecies about PHP's doom... it is still here, and will be
here and in the top 5 for at least 10 years. By the time PHP is replaced by
RoR or anything else, I will probably be selling RoR T-Shirts, or be
retired, or be dead (maybe of lung cancer, or cirrhosis, or just because
no-one can live past 120's)...

The point is... "sayonara PHP" means "sayonara most new clients" right now,
sayonara "sustained trend", sayonara "all php-based solutions" and sayonara
"most of the web development world". The facts show that googling for "PHP"
throws about 8,830,000,000 results (this is a bit biased, but the point
still holds)... try to Google for anything else and get similar numbers.

So... why not just saying "sayonara PHP internals" if that's the scenario in
which you've had trouble? (meaning, bad luck, not lack of skill). I've seen
some of your code, and though I don't personally use it, I find it
interesting. And I don?t use it because I see no need for it; RIGHT NOW,
most of my company's projects are either small or already work with a
framework of some kind. I think I know why not "just sayonara PHP
internals"... because "I know how this or that should be, I want to turn it
into the way I think it should be... and as I can't do that, because someone
or something prevents me to do so... I feel frustrated and I just give it
up". Again... just (wrongly?) reading your mind.

Now, it's like you couldn't live without namespaces, could you? We've all
being living without namespaces so far... and we've all lived with PHP 4 OOP
so far. And it was even harder for me... I come from the Delphi world and
had previously done some bit of C++ too. So just imagine that when I
switched from Delphi to C++ I was expecting a (SINGLE!) VCL... and a form to
place the UI elements... oh and a "use MyUnit" kind of magical syntax
(instead of ?include <whatever>? or "using namespace std"). But I had to
live with that... and finally I got used to the good and bad of C++?
somehow. Then, I started making my first steps into PHP and the web, and
immediately thought ?similar syntax, supports OOP? will be easy?? but I had
to drop and/or rewrite all my ?first attempt? code because it just happened
that the client for which we where working had a hosting of it?s own with
PHP 4.2 and MySQL 3.23 (there are still some of those archaic hosting
packages over there? I don?t need to tell you). So, I just had to get used
to this ?new OOP? of PHP 4 (which is almost no OOP at all).

All in all, my fellow countryman, I guess that unless you have a huge
positive bank account balance, and you drive a BMW (I don?t like them
anyway?) you?d better off tolerating PHP for this little ?namespace issue?
if you want to stay in business. Unless, of course, that you have an
incoming contract to develop a core system for an NSA mainframe. And if
that?s the case please tell them I prepare the most awesome ?mate?
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_(beverage)) in the world, and that you
cannot work without it.

I know that, even if you wish to leave PHP forever, you?ll come back? all
the roads will lead you to it. So, you?d better take a smart decision now?
than have no other choice in the future (... ok, that was kind of The
Godfather?s script, lol).

Enjoy your holidays,

Rob

Andrés Robinet | Lead Developer | BESTPLACE CORPORATION
5100 Bayview Drive 206, Royal Lauderdale Landings, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308