questions about php's configure script ... (somewhat Mac OS X related)

having gone through configure and compile hell getting php built on Mac OS X Leopard I have
become a little more familiar with the intricasies of compiling software ... undoubtly I
still have a heap to learn.

to that end I was hoping someone could shed some light on the following queries

1. what exactly do --with-libdir and --disable-rpath do and how/when should they be used?

2. php's configure says it does not support --disable-dependency-tracking but apparently
it's a general configure option that is 'always' available .. is this true? and what is it
for? (the entropy.ch php5.2.5.release1 tarball contains a php binary which says that this
option was used in it's configure line)

3. how does one build a 64bit version of php? (or better yet a [Mac OS X] universal binary)

4. do I need to care about building shared extensions (--with-foobar=shared,/usr/local/foobar/),
whats the point unless your release the build for other people to use?