Re: Change case of HTML tags

Jim Lucas wrote:
Daniel Brown wrote:
On Dec 19, 2007 4:10 PM, Christoph Boget <christoph.boget@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've been looking through the docs but haven't found an internal function
that does what I'm looking for.  Perhaps I missed it?  Or perhaps someone
can point me in the right direction?  I'm looking for a routine that will
convert tags to lower case.  For example, if I have

<HTML>
  <HEAD>
    <TITLE>This is the Page Title</TITLE>
  </HEAD>
  <Body>
    Here is the Page Text
  </Body>
</HTML>

I want to convert only the tags to lower case.  So <HTML> becomes <html> and
so on; I don't want anything else touched.  This may seem kind of silly but
I'm working with an XMLDocument object in javascript and when I serialize it
to string format, for some reason all the tags are made into uppercase.  I'm
taking the serialized string, posting it back to the server and using it on
the back end.  I figure that since I can make it so that the serialized
string is lower case on the front end, perhaps I can convert it on the back.

Any ideas/pointers?

thnx,
Christoph

<?
$s = <<<EOD
<HTML>
 <HEAD>
   <TITLE>This is the Page Title</TITLE>
 </HEAD>
 <Body>
   Here is the Page Text
 </Body>
</HTML>
EOD;

$s = preg_replace('/<(.*)>/Ue',"strtolower('<$1>')",$s);

Nice use of the 'e' modifier, but would it not be safer to use this?

	$s = preg_replace('/<(.*)>/U', strtolower("<$1>"), $s);

This way the arbitrary html is not executed?

You can't do it that way. The strtolower will be executed before preg_replace, so you're just converting <$1> to lowercase and passing that through.

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/