Re: Re: Just to confirm...

On Dec 18, 2007 10:39 AM, Colin Guthrie <gmane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Daniel Brown wrote:
> > On Dec 18, 2007 10:17 AM, Richard Heyes <richardh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Emails that bounce get sent back to the address in the Return-Path:
> >> header. Correct?
> >
> >     Yes, sir.
> >

> Except when they go to the envelope sender or the Errors-To address..... ;)

> sendmail and other e-mail clients.
>
> Ordinarily, errors are bounced to the envelope sender. The "Errors-To:"
> header specifies the address, or addresses, to which sendmail should
> send additional notification of delivery errors. This header is intended
> for use by mailing lists, in order to prevent errors in a list from
> being resent to the list as a whole. "
>
> Col.

    There's also the non-standard "bounce-handler-*" header, but it's
extremely limited use made me feel it wasn't worth mentioning.  Your
point, however, Colin, was worth mentioning.  ;-P

    That aside, coincidentally, I'm suddenly receiving a lot of
bounces from the list this morning.  Even on messages that were
properly delivered, and to which replies were issued.  Anyone else
getting these?

    Example:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at lists.php.net.

<php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
This message is looping: it already has my Delivered-To line. (#5.4.6)

--
Daniel P. Brown
[Phone Numbers Go Here!]

If at first you don't succeed, stick to what you know best so that you
can make enough money to pay someone else to do it for you.