Re: zlib and fopen and stream_filter_append, prebuffer read errors help

Revisiting the Zlib PHP html page, I notice that it says that Zlib in PHP works with uncompressed files, but not with sockets. Could that be my problem? What does it mean to be using sockets? I'm sending this data wirelessly from a handheld device to a server, and I'm using the device API, it might use sockets to connect. If that is preventing Zlib from working, is there any way around that?

Could the problem be that I am using the zLib functions on the file pointer obtained in this way:

$headerfile = $_FILES['header']['tmp_name'];

Is that not a real file or something? Would it work perhaps if I first moved this above file to another place within my directories? I think that $_FILES thing references a temporary file.

Sorry if that's a newbie question, I am coming from a C/C++ background and still getting used to $variables having 'fuzzy' types.

Thanks,

Bob