RE: Mysqli support - test or complain?

Yes but what about development clients that have their hosting accounts elsewhere?... you cannot push them to change from hosting provider. I would rephrase Dave's questions like this:

1 - What is the chance your clients have PHP 5 nowadays?
2 - What is the change that a PHP 5 hosting provider has mysqli installed?

Multiply both and you get the chance of getting mysqli installed when a new development client arrives asking for a development quote... If you are a company, you can provide the PHP 5 hosting yourself, and have a "PHP 5 Required" rule in the TOS for development projects. But if you are a freelancer... you risk loosing the client with such a requirement.
Despite the EOL for PHP 4 has been announced, I still see webhosts bundled with PHP 4.1 and MySQL 3.23.

Anyway... it depends on your target, and the real need for mysqli.

Rob

Andrés Robinet | Lead Developer | BESTPLACE CORPORATION
5100 Bayview Drive 206, Royal Lauderdale Landings, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308 | TEL 954-607-4207 | FAX 954-337-2695
Email: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  | MSN Chat: best@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  |  SKYPE: bestplace |  Web: http://www.bestplace.biz | Web: http://www.seo-diy.com