Re: Dynamic Display of Images Stored in DB

On Thursday 29 November 2007 06:03:32 Chris wrote:
> > In my solution, I use two scripts. One for showing the image true size
> > and another for generating a thumbnail -- I may be wrong, but I think
> > it's better to generate a thumbnail as needed on the fly than it is to
> > store both images (large and thumbnail) in the dB.
>
> Cache it on the filesystem even if it's for a short time (of course if
> the image is updated elsewhere the cache needs to be cleared as well..).
>

> <?php
>
> $file = '/path/to/cache/file.jpg';
> if (file_exists($file)) {
>    if (filemtime($file) > strtotime('-30 minutes')) {
>      $fp = fopen($file, 'rb');
>      fpassthru($fp);
>      exit;
>    }
>
>    // the file is older than 30 minutes, kill it and start again.
>    unlink($file);
> }
>
> // continue creating your thumbnail.
>
> $fp = fopen('/path/to/cache/' . $filename, 'wb');
> fputs($fp, $imagecontents);
> fclose($fp);
>
> // display image

Hell, I'm all ok with this method... but does (different) webhotells take into
account the amount used with cache/temp files.
If so, some check should be used, and if not. Cache it all!, and remove the
timelimit, some check for the change of image of course, but that all depends
if you acctually change images from time to time..

--
---
Børge Holen