Re: Structured Code vs. Performance

Jochem Maas wrote:
news_yodpeirs@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I got different portions of code only used for certain purposes (who don't ;-)?). But what, in your opinion (better: in your experience) would be the best regarding script-performance: Putting each code-portion in a separate file and include it if required, putting it in a constant-dependent if-structure (if (defined('FOO') && FOO) {class foo{}; function foo(); ...})

defining functions or classes conditionally is not recommended, because it
means they can only be defined at runtime and not compile time ... which will
kill any op-code caching you might have in place or use in future (e.g. php.net/apc)

I'm not completely sure, but I think you're wrong there. Removing the condition in the example above will not affect any opcode caching since PHP cannot determine the result of that conditional until runtime.

To the OP: You're treading on the dangerous ground of premature optimisation. In the grand scheme of things the time taken for PHP to compile your scripts is tiny compared to the time it will take to run it. And as mentioned there are several ways to cache the compilation output which turns that tiny time into a negligible time.

Worry about the structure and maintainability of your app rather than thinking about how fast it is. Once you have the app doing something useful you can start to think about how to make it do it quickly.

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/