Re: Newbie asks about multi-lingual website strategies

Wow! I love this group, ask and you shall receive.  Thanks everyone for the
comments and suggestions.

The following snippet from Andrés Robinet would actually suit my current
project..

define('DEFAULT_LANG_ID', 'en');

function getLanguageId() {

  // Allow for language id override in $_GET, $_POST and $_COOKIE

  $req_lang_id = $_REQUEST['lang_id'];

  // Retrieve the one stored in the session if any

  $sess_lang_id = $_SESSION['lang_id'];

  // $lang_id will contain the lang id retrieved from request (overrides
session),

  // or from session or a default one

  $lang_id = isset($req_lang_id) ? $req_lang_id : (isset($sess_lang_id) ?

$sess_lang_id : DEFAULT_LANG_ID);

  // Save it for next time

  $_SESSION['lang_id'] = $lang_id;

  return $lang_id;

}

but the idea of getting a preferred language from the browser is also a
great strategy ( I didn?t know you could do that, I?m such a noob) so I
think that I will investgate that further.

The problem with IP address is that usually it is not tied to one particular
user so I will scrap that idea.

Am I correct that if two people are logged on using two different languages
that the session var will keep track of the different users (by IP I assume)
and the server won?t mess up?

Anyway thanks everyone for all the great help, I?m on a nearly vertical
learning curve here and it?s great to have this community to draw on.  I?m
pretty much working in a vacuum otherwise.

Jeff