RE: Representing microtime() values

2007. 11. 27, kedd keltezéssel 09.46-kor Tomi Kaistila ezt írta:
> >>Hi everyone
> >>
> >>Here's a small problem that I haven't been able to figure out and hence I
> >>figured I'd post and see if anyone can explain this to me.
> >>
> >>-snip-
> >>
> >How exactly does PHP handle these values internally? Does anyone know?
> >
> >Tomi:
> >
> >Try this:
> >
> >http://www.webbytedd.com/b/timed/
> >
> >HTH's
> >
> >tedd
>
> Thanks Tedd, but that's not really what I asked for. The difference in your
> script is that it doesn't use the TRUE flag (unlike the script given on
> PHP's manual). But not much of anything else. PHP still behaves the same way
> with the float numbers when you try to look at them. And that is the part
> that I wish to understand.
>
> PHP clearly stores a number with more than two decimal points when you call
> microtime(). But when you print it, it only shows two.

that seems to me like a floating point precision issue. after all, the
integer part of the microtime result is a quite big number...

I even tried a workaround like

$a = explode(' ', microtime());
echo $a[0] + $a[1];

but it resulted in the exact same result like microtime(true)

anyone knows something for sure?

greets
Zoltán Németh