Re: Create PDFs with a strict layout automatically

David Christopher Zentgraf wrote:
Hi,

I want to offer visitors of my site the possibility of downloading printable, foldable pocket guides for certain things that come out of my database. The problem is that items will be entered into the database very frequently, so I need to automate the process of creating these guides. Since they're supposed to work like flyers, with a proper front and back etc, the layout will need to be very strict and adhere to a template. I was thinking about PDFs, since they should keep their layout in print no matter what. But how would I create PDFs from a template on the fly using PHP?

There are a few packages you can use.

http://pear.php.net/package/File_PDF
http://www.fpdf.org/

are two I know of, I'm sure there are more.

If you have the choice maybe the php extension is an option:

http://php.net/pdf

but that requires a module be built into php.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/