Re: uploading files... necessary Ajax?

T.Lensselink wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 08:38:18 -0600, "Jay Blanchard" <jblanchard@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> [snip]
>> Seems to me Pere want's to do an upload without reloading the whole
>> page.
>> [/snip]
>>
>> The problem is that you cannot upload files using Ajax alone. But you
>> can do it without a reload, requires an invisible IFRAME and a little
>> technique. Search Google for several different articles on this.
>
> Indeed uploading with only Ajax is not possible.
> The already named iframe technique was the only thing i could think of.
> I was just curious if Jochem knew some other way of tackling this problem.

I've not tried but I thought the point of returning a status code as
Jochem mentioned would cause the browser to not need to download the
content again?

e.g. it gets a status code of e.g. 304 Not Changed and no data will the
browser need to reload the page from it's cache or will it just keep the
current page as it is. I would have thought this was a client-side
implementation issue rather than anything else.

Of course with these codes you can't inform someone that something has
gone wrong, but I guess you only issue the codes on success. That said
it will be a little odd exerpience for the user without some form of
positive feedback. Just a click a small wait with mouse cursor whirring
then it stops and that's it.... bit odd.

Col