RE: two small issues with php mail

> Wolf wrote:
> > ---- Jim Lucas <lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > <!-- Snip for brevity -->
> >> remember, he is wanting to setup SMTP auth.  So he will not be using
> >> PHP's mail() function.
> >>
> >> He needs to talk directly to the SMTP server.
> >>
> >> Jim
> >  Jim,
> >
> > At this point, we need to just get his homework assignment parameters
> from "Brad" so we can see what next questions he'll have...  I'm not
> sure he needs to do SMTP auth but even if he does, he's going to need
> to be able to write correct syntax and debug his code along the way...
> >
> > Wolf
>
> Well, re-reading his first post, it does seem like the only two things
> he is interested in solving, besides syntax and formatting, are SMTP
> auth and using the BCC to send to additional addresses.
>
> --
> Jim Lucas
>

>      "Perseverance is not a long race;
>          it is many short races one after the other"
>
> Walter Elliot
>

>      "Some men are born to greatness, some achieve greatness,
>          and some have greatness thrust upon them."
>
> Twelfth Night, Act II, Scene V
>      by William Shakespeare
>
> --

Well, I didn't read Brad's first post (I subscribed to this list recently); but what I know for sure is that "PHP: Talking to a SMTP server" cannot be the title for an assignment in a first course on PHP (judging for Brad's inquiries, this is it).
Nobody (me included) likes doing assignments for anybody, and that's not what this list is for either... but I've not seen any of you throwing a link for a video tutorial.
When I started learning PHP it was kind of a new world, though I had some experience in C, C++, C#, VB, Delphi, Actionscript and Javascript. So I RTFM for the syntactic elements to compare and see the differences with other languages I knew, and then I jumped over a set of tutorials for the basic functionality like using $_GET, $_POST, $_SESSION, sending out emails and accessing databases (for Spanish speakers like me we have http://www.illasaron.com with tones of GB in FREE training videos, for English speakers I don't know). Only when I felt a bit comfortable I started coding my stuff... and I didn't bother anybody in any forum or mail list.
I bet my life that the only one goal of Brad's assignment is "How to populate the headers parameter for the mail function" and the rest of it... is the result of Brad's googling and not knowing what to ask. I believe 120% he wants SMTP Auth only because his code is failing and he thinks that will fix the issue.
Anyway... all that said, I only hope that once he gets it straight he says "Thanks guys, this was the issue and this is how it got solved"

Rob