Re: IDE

Arno Kuhl wrote:
I think jammer's idea is a good one. I've been lurking on this list for
years and seen many resurrections of the IDE thread. It's an important
thread, and the PHP IDE world is ever changing and new products come onto
the scene every now and then. I use my favourite commercial IDE but quite
frequently check out the other IDE's mentioned in those threads, mostly to
confirm the choice I made 4 years ago is still the right one. A
well-maintained list of free and commercial PHP IDE's on the php.net site
would be a great idea, especially if it also had links to reviews, and also
included the mix-n-match IDE's I see some people on the list use. And/or
maybe a forum on php.net dedicated to PHP IDE's, with user polls. Then
whenever the IDE thread pops up the response would be to look at the web
site (RTFWS). The only downside might be the resources to run it.

thanks.

I think the point being that most people will have done a simple google search in order to have found php.net ... if the IDE topic was obvious on that page most people would find it, and have this question answered, before finding this list and subscribing.

we as developers must know that if repeated 'users' are appearing here with the same questions something is up? no? ;)

its like good interface design if you get loads of questions about something regarding software you wrote there is a chance that a lot of those could be delt with by subtle changes to the way you present things to users.

BTW jammer, if you start using php for big projects I'd recommend NuSphere
PhpED, but it's overkill if you just want to dabble. There's a trial version
if you want to check it out, and a good tip is they drop the price every now
and then for promotions (wish I knew that 4 years ago).

well at the moment it is just dabbling to be honest but i'm currently redesigning my home site and am investigating the options before laying any code down. one thing i'm considering if a tighter integration with my wordpress blog to replace a news type page. that sort of thing, no full on web apps.

i'd propably turn to something like C# in visual web developer if i were to go that route simply from familiarity.

thanks for the headsup on the IDE.  off to check it out now.

--
jammer
www.jammer.biz