RE: PHP access of FileMaker data

At 11/14/2007 01:02 AM, George Pitcher wrote:
Paul,

> What I'm really looking for is a PHP class that will read FileMaker
> files in their native format.  I'm beginning to suspect that none
> exists in the public arena.  Someone please tell me there is!
I'm just exporting my tables (files rather than tables as I never upgraded
beyong v5). Why not try that and then use PHP to transfer from the exported
files into whatever you want?

a) FileMaker is on my client's computer, not my own;
b) it's going to be a frequent data transfer, not a one-time-only transform.

My client is using an inventory management program in-house. Each time they modify their catalog inventory they need to upload the new dataset to the server so it will be reflected in their website. I'm writing the PHP software that converts their data to MySQL and then drives the website.

The inventory application's native db format is FileMaker 8. The export function built into the inventory application can output XML and CSV which are easy for me to read in PHP, but when it does so it gloms various tables together in a pre-packaged join query that doesn't suit my purposes. The program is not built to export individual FM tables cleanly.

What I really want is to be able to read each of the component tables (FileMaker files) and convert them to MySQL tables on the fly.

The client is relatively unsophisticated and the most I can ask of them is to learn to use an FTP program to upload the FileMaker tables to the server. I don't want to ask them (or anyone) to run a conversion utility on a couple of dozen files before uploading. That's why I want to write a PHP script that can read the FM files. Ideally I'd like to be able to write to FM as well, but that's not crucial to the project.

Ideas?

Thanks!
Paul