PHP 5.1 memory leak?

Hi All,

My apologies if this question was already answered, I just couldn't find
it on the mail archive.

I have a really complex report which uses a tree-like structure of data
base objects. Usually it consumes a lot of memory but that it is not
really an issue because it is an intranet application with few users and
a dedicated server for it. The problem is that the memory allocated by
the script is never free'd!

My production server uses ubuntu 6.10 PHP 5.1.2 on apache2 using
mod_php. When the script is executed, it consumes about 5% of my memory,
event when it finishes, I can use 'top' and see that the memory is still
allocated:

USER      NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
www-data   0  110m  98m 4064 S    0  4.9   0:16.51 apache2

If I execute the report several times I can consume as much memory as
the number of apache process I have.

The funny thing is that on my laptop I use ubuntu 7.04 PHP 5.2.1 an
apache2 using mod_php, and the memory is normally free'd when the script
finishes, no matter how many times I execute it.

Is it a PHP5.1 bug? Garbage collector couldn't handle my complex
structure? The only solution is to upgrade to PHP 5.2?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Egon