Re: Problem with input name, how can i use . (dot) in a name of a input type text?

Stut wrote:
> Jônata Tyska Carvalho wrote:
>> Im having a big problem because the name of one input type text that is '
>> table.name' in my html, becomes 'table_name' in php, it is a kind of
>> bug??
>> =S
>>
>> <form method="post">
>> <input type="text" name"table.name">
>> </form>
>>
>> in PHP we have:
>>
>> $_POST["table_name"] instead of $_POST["table.name"]
>>
>> someone knows some way to put this to work?? i wanna send 'table.name'
>> and
>> receive in php 'table.name'!
>
> I don't know for certain but that's likely happening because a period is
> not valid in a PHP variable name. One alternative would be to use
> table[name] instead. This will lead to $_POST['table']['name'].

I think Stut is correct - the period is a concatenation operator.
also there are plenty of alertnatives to the Stuts suggested 'table[name]' naming approach.

that said given the following code:

	$f = "my.bad";
	$$f = "MY BAD";
	echo $f, "\n", $$f, "\n";

... I personally feel that the $_POST should just contain
'table.name' - which is not an illegal array key - most likely the reason it is (the var name)
transformed is due to BC, namely with register_globals set to ON php is required to automatically
create a variable $table.name (which is not legal).