php 4.4.7 configure and sablotron version issue

Anybody trying to build php 4.4.7 with xslt/sablotron support? I'm setting up a new Debian server and configure kept quitting on Sablotron saying the version was less than 0.96. Looking at /usr/ include/sablot.h, it shows the version at 1.0.3. Configure was saying it was using /usr, and I couldn't find another salbot.h anywhere on the system, so as far as I can tell I was looking at the same file as configure.

I was looking in ext/xslt/config.m4 at:
[snip]

AC_TRY_RUN([
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <sablot.h>

int main ()
{
	double version;
	version = atof(SAB_VERSION);

	if (version >= 0.96) {
		exit(0);
	}
	exit(255);
}
    ],[
      AC_MSG_RESULT([>= 0.96])
    ],[
      AC_MSG_ERROR([Sablotron version 0.96 or greater required.])
    ])

[/snip]

and from sablot.h
[snip]

/* version info */
#define SAB_VERSION "1.0.3"
#define SAB_DATE "June 26, 2006"

[/snip]

I don't know enough about the configure test to say there's a bug there, but then I couldn't figure out how to get it to work either. Tried setting the SAB_VERSION define in sablot.h to 9 just to see if it would work, but no go. Finally gave up and removed the xslt stuff from the config options since I don't have a real need for them right now.

So anyone else having this problem, or know how to fix it?

Ed