Re: PHP Won't Access Files Outside Web Root (Leopard/MacOS X 10.5)

On 11/2/07, Rahul Sitaram Johari <sleepwalker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/2/07 8:26 AM, "Jason Pruim" <japruim@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > On Nov 1, 2007, at 5:54 PM, Jim Lucas wrote:
> >> Sounds like a clear case of Apache being chroot'ed.
> >>
> >> This is based off the BSD style setup I believe.  Which I believe
> >> Mac uses, So, I would check your startup line for Apache.  I did
> >> some googling, but I could not find anything to confirm my thinking
> >> that the Mac Apache configuration is anything like the default
> >> OpenBSD setup.
> >>
> >> I know you can manually start httpd with the -u flag to disable
> >> chrooting
> >>
> >> Again, I can't find any examples of the Mac setup, but my money
> >> would be on chrooting as the problem.
> >

> > I have been a Mac user for my entire computing life, and although I
> > can't tell you the difference between Apple's setup and OpenBSD's set
> > up.. I can point you to a list that would definitely be able to help.
> >
> > That list as some of the most knowledgeable mac Heads I have ever
> > dealt with, and they have helped me through all kinds of stuff.
> >
> > If anyone can tell you, they can.
> >

> That sounds like a good place to look.
>
> I actually did figure out a way to make this work. It appears that Apache
> Web Server did not have enough permissions to read files on a mounted share,
> simply because Leopard eliminated the -u -g arguments for mount_smbfs - so
> basically my guess was right on target.
>
> I was able to figure out the workaround to mounting a share giving it
> specific user/group:
>
> Sudo -u www mount_smbfs -f 0777 -d 0777 //usr:pwd@ip/share node
>
> That works!
> It mounts the share as "www" - which is Apache Web Server - and my PHP
> scripts had no problem reading files of the share on my Website.
>
> Now I need to figure out how to write an AppleScript (or use the Automator)
> to automate the process on every boot up. I had an AppleScript before to do
> this - but it's changed now.
>
> Thanks guys.
>
> PS: You guys are funny! And brilliant!!
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Rahul Sitaram Johari
> CEO, Twenty Four Seventy Nine Inc.
>
> W: http://www.rahulsjohari.com
> E: sleepwalker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> ³I morti non sono piu soli ... The dead are no longer lonely²
>
> --

    Rahul,

    I believe all of the modern MacOS variants still use the
*nix-style (due to being based on BSD) rc.d startups, right?  If so:

    sudo echo "sudo -u www mount_smbfs -f 0777 -d 0777
//usr:pwd@ip/share node" > /etc/rc.d/init.d/winsharemount
    sudo chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/init.d/windsharemount
    sudo ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/winsharemount /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S74winsharemount
    sudo ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/winsharemount /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S74winsharemount

    That should help automate it on startup in single-user and
multi-user mode (rc3 and rc5, respectively).

--
Daniel P. Brown
[office] (570-) 587-7080 Ext. 272

Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day.  Then you'll find out he was
allergic and is hospitalized.  See?  No good deed goes unpunished....