RE: Threads

>> Greetings everyone, I was wondering where I could find information on the
>> status and possibilities of threads being included in PHP. Or if you are
>> knowledge-able on the status of threads, if it is a planned addition or not
>> and the reasons as such. I understand PHP is not thread safe, that the core
>> is thread safe but many required extensions are not. Is there a road map to
>> this?
>
> Being thread safe and being able to use threads are two different things.
>
> PHP 5 *is* thread safe, but a great many extensions are not.
>
> PHP is never likely to support threads. Remember that the majority of
> PHP usage is in the context of web requests. There are a great many
> issues the crop up when you consider adding threading to an Apache
> module, and I'm sure the same is true of most of the other SAPIs.
>
> Hope that helps.

Hmm.  I was looking into proc_open and pcntl_fork as a way to have a "Manager application" handle "Worker applications" (or worker threads -- so to speak).

Actually as a quick way to develop in PHP instead of C++.  Some of the worker processes are actually C++ and some are PHP.

Can anyone expound on these alternatives to threads?  I'm assuming that neither "blocks" execution of the spawned process.  Is it merely the difference between processes and threads whereas threads have less overhead?  This is for a command line PHP-GTK app (the Manager Application) and I'm not too concerned about running out of resources.

I noticed the proc_* methods allow for getting the status and maybe the manager will kill off some workers if they do not behave as desired.