PHP Won't Access Files Outside Web Root (Leopard/MacOS X 10.5)

Ave,

Somehow my PHP won't access, won't even acknowledge the existence of a file
that is outside the /Library/WebServer/Documents folder. This was never a a
problem before in any Mac version - it just started with Leopard.

I don't know what has changed where, in httpd.conf or php.ini or somewhere
else, but something changed that's crippling access to files outside of the
webserver.

This Works in Mac OS X 10.3.9 (i.e., prints File Exists) but the same exact
script does not work in Mac OS X 10.5, and yes, the file is available in
Leopard in the mentioned location - path is exact same - permissions are all
set:

$filename = "/Users/username/Documents/Transfers/test.txt";
if (file_exists($filename)) {
echo "The file $filename exists<br><br>";
} else {
echo "The file $filename does not exist<br><br>";
}

I¹ve already checked safe_mode which is Off and open_basedir which is not
set ­ same settings as php.ini from before.
Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks!

Rahul Sitaram Johari
CEO, Twenty Four Seventy Nine Inc.

W: http://www.rahulsjohari.com
E: sleepwalker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

³I morti non sono piu soli ... The dead are no longer lonely²