Re: moving over to php 5

On 10/29/07, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hulf wrote:
>
> > It is about time I made the jump to 5, however the only thing that is
> > holding me back is the problem with hosts. How many hosts still run
> > php 4 and am I going to have to spend hours and hours persuading them
> > to upgrade before I can run my code?
>
> There are at least 117,223 hosting companies that are still using PHP4.
> Unless they already have an upgrade project going, a single user is
> unlikely to convince them to start one.
>
> > Please let me know if I will find this an easy transition or should I
> > hold off for now.
>
> As a whole, I think you'll find the 4-5 transition easy.  Possible
> issues:  the xsl extension, which was changed from saxon to libxml, and
> the Mailparse extension also caused us some grief.  We rewrote the code
> to use the new xsl stuff, and somehow we also managed to get Mailparse
> installed.
>
> Dave Goodchild wrote:
>
> > Support for php4 will be dropped at the end of the year so hosts will
> > be forced to make the upgrade at some point.
>
> What will force them to do so?  Lack of support is unlikely to have any
> effect.
>

> /Per Jessen, Zürich

 I think the real question is.... will listservs (like this one) stop
supporting people running applications on PHP4 in 98 days (
http://gophp5.org/)? I'm not saying we should outcast *those people* who
haven't transitioned, but will the process speed up if a community puts
their foot down? Is this how it will be..................

[example question]
I'm running PHP4 and blah blah blah...

[example response]
Oh, I noticed you said PHP4. Sorry, upgrade, then we'll support...

Just a thought...
~Philip