Re: moving over to php 5

Per Jessen wrote:
Hulf wrote:

It is about time I made the jump to 5, however the only thing that is
holding me back is the problem with hosts. How many hosts still run
php 4 and am I going to have to spend hours and hours persuading them
to upgrade before I can run my code?

There are at least 117,223 hosting companies that are still using PHP4.
Unless they already have an upgrade project going, a single user is unlikely to convince them to start one.
Please let me know if I will find this an easy transition or should I
hold off for now.

As a whole, I think you'll find the 4-5 transition easy.  Possible
issues:  the xsl extension, which was changed from saxon to libxml, and
the Mailparse extension also caused us some grief.  We rewrote the code
to use the new xsl stuff, and somehow we also managed to get Mailparse
installed.

Dave Goodchild wrote:

Support for php4 will be dropped at the end of the year so hosts will
be forced to make the upgrade at some point.

What will force them to do so?  Lack of support is unlikely to have any
effect.

/Per Jessen, Zürich

Hmm 117,223 hosts with php4 only support. Did you actually checked how many have php5 support? Many more. You have hundreds of thousands of choices. And the pricing has quite leveled in the last period or the differences in price are absolutely minor. I don't see a reason to stay with one that only supports php4. After all, changing the adress-ip link on dns is free and it will propagate in a few hours.