Re: Maximum function nesting level of '100' reached

T.Lensselink wrote:

>> php -r 'function foo() { static $x = 1; echo "foo ", $x++, "\n"; foo(); }
>> foo();'

>>> Running your code shows that there is a limit. Although it doesn't throw
>> an
>>> error.
>>> It just stops after n recursive calls:
>>>
>>> php4 recursive calls:   796
>>> php5 recursive calls: 49841
>>> php6 recursive calls:  6007
>> A. this is not the output of the script
>
> That's true. i never said it was... or did i?
>
>> B. do you think these numbers are the same for everyone?
>> heck they're not even garanteed to be the same between 2 runs
>> on the same machine with the same php binary.
>
> No i don't think it will be the same on all systems. I also didn't say
> that.
> You make to much assumptions.

that should be "You make too many assumptions" and no that is not the case,
I was trying to point out that the number you showed us were arbitrary and
completely nonindicative (of anything).

>> C. it doesn't just stop, a segmentation fault occurs.
>
> No it doesn't segfault. Well atleast it doesn't here.

then you have a php binary built with customized source code I
presume.

> error_reporting on. Xdebug enabled... No segfaults.. It just stops after
> (n) recursions.

yes and display_errors is OFF - look in your php error log.

>> Therfore there is NO recursion limit in php (not withstanding a specific
>> limit
>> in functions belonging to an XML extention). the percieved limit is php
>> running
>> out of memory ... as long as there is memory php will continue to
> recurse.
>
> I didn't say there is a recursion limit. I just confirmed the output of
> running your "test" script.

you implied that there was a limit when you said 'it just stops',
'it just stops' is not the same thing as a segmentation fault occuring.
or did you mean something like 'it just stops when you concentrate really hard
on your computer', or maybe you're implying that php has just aquired
self-awareness and is arbitrarily deciding when to put a stop to your recursion?