output-buffer and memory-issue

Hi, I got a strange problem: Using php 4.4.x, I capture the whole output for a webpage into the output-buffer by using ob_start and ob_get_clean, because I got to make some replacements in the html-code before sending the page to the browser.

This worked fine with a small page, but now I got a page for which the html-code is about 280 KB  (not too big I think). But I get an server-error 500 for this script on my linux-based webhoster.

I tried to run it on an local WAMP-installation - it worked without error.
I temporarly deleted some of the output - it worked without error.
I turned of the output-buffering - it worked without error.

I printed memory_get_usage, but it never exceeded 2 MB (I load about 200 records from a database and create objects from it and then print the data of these 200 records).
On phpinfo(), memory_limit of my webhoster is 40M - so 2MB SHOULD be no problem.
I increased the memory-limit to 64M - it doesn't help.

Any idea what I could do next? I got no access to the apache error-log, but the error is definitely connected to the output buffer and how much I try to store in it.

Any help is welcome.

Regards

Wuschba

       __________________________________ Ihr erstes Fernweh? Wo gibt es den schönsten Strand? www.yahoo.de/clever