PHP/MySQL CMS for Articles/Studies/Research Papers?

One of my clients is a veterinarian who performs research on the side.  He
wants to be able to post his papers online and let ppl comment and have
discussions.  he's not just a dabbler.  the university of georgia is
(was?) conducting clinical trials for his parvo cure that has already saved
hundreds of animals from certain death.

Caveats:
- he has no HTML knowledge, so something with a rich-text editor is a must.
- the simpler the interface, the better (For God's sake, Jim, I'm a vet, not
a web developer!)
- he's on a managed server, has to be something we can upload via ftp
- wants to be able to include images in his posts
- free is better

right now, he's using PHP-nuke, but he's not very keen on it, nor am i.

drupal is a possibility with the image and rich-text modules, but it can get
messy for someone whose web mastery extends to sending emails (consider
drupal's taxonomy system.  at the most, he might just want to make a new
category and be done with it and not get confounded with parent/child
relationships and their weights).

he has a blog, but that is going to be used for dealing with particular
cases.  the CMS site will be used for the big articles and papers.

the CMS should be blog-like in nature, and we may end up just creating
another blogspot blog for him to use (connected via FTP publishing).

just wanted to know if any of you have seen anything geared for this sort of
content, something professional-looking that doesn't come with a huge
learning curve.  it wouldn't have to be TOO fancy, i could probably make
something, but didn't want to re-invent the round-thing-that-rolls.

thank you,

~jason

--
Crunchmutt Studios