RE: Beginner Tutorials for using CLASSES in PHP4

[snip]
What I was really illustrating is how interfaces are syntactic
sugar only. In my above example what I've really shown is an
implicit interface :) Since OOP is largely meant to model real
world things, ask yourself this... when a doctor sews a pig's
heart into a human, do you think there's an explicit interface
someplace that checks for compatibility, or does it "just work"
if the conditions are right. Food for thought, pork in fact ;)
[/snip]

No doubt they are syntactic sugar (and not needed for polymorphism), PHP
and other languages are sprinkled with such spices. And just like spices
these things have a proper place and usage. (Unless I am slow cooking my
world famous brown sugar and cinnamon brisket.) Given the class brisket
that extends meat I would likely use an interface to implement said
world famous brisket just as others might implement an interface for
their brisket. Of course my recipe could be a child of brisket, but may
violate the IS_A relationship unless a recipe is implicitly implied for
each brisket. Sometimes this syntactic sugar makes for cleaner code
(especially when others who are not aware, sometimes folks do it just to
do it. YMMV and I am now hungry.

BTW, pigs hearts and other body parts are used extensively in research
where human physiology is concerned because of their similarity.