PHP loop control

I'm looking for some ideas on the best way to perform the following.
1.  Give the user a webpage that allows him/her to start/stop a loop.
2.  Open a socket to a device.
3.  Issue commands to the device a read the results.
4.  Process the results.
5.  If the user selected 'Stop', exit the loop or go to #3 above.
6.  Close socket.

Is this type of loop possible in PHP?  What is the best way to do this type
of loop control?  Are there examples out there?  It seems to me that
starting an infinite loop would cause some problems trying to read the
user's selection to stop the process.
I hope this makes sense.  If not, let me know.