Re: Disabling the built-in POST handler

On 10/5/07, Stefanos Stamatis <stef@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need to handle very large file uploads and push the data into a socket.
> Having php to write everything to a temporary file, then reading it
> again inside the script and pushing it into the socket is very inefficient
> and imposes size limitations to the uploaded files (which may reach GB
> in size).
>
> It would be much more efficient if i could disable PHP's built-in handler
> of POST form data and handle the incoming data directly from the script
> by reading php://input .
> (I am aware that i will need to do multi-part MIME processing inside the
> script, if I read directly the raw POST data sent by the browser)
>
> Is there a way to completely disable the built-in POST form data handling
> of PHP and handle the data inside the script by reading php://input ?

You might look at $HTTP_POST_RAW_DATA. Not sure but it might help.

Also, I thought you could use a stream as the data comes via STDIN...
I swear I've seen that before.

I don't think you really want to "disable" the handler, more like use
an alternative and ignore the default.

If you find a solution I'd be interested personally, I have the
opportunity to accept large files as well and it would be nice to
figure that part out, especially glued together with the upload
progress capabilities. It might depend on the SAPI how uploaded files
are actually handled, which could become useful in the hunt for a
solution.