Re[4]: Super bizarre changing variable!!

Hi Brian,

> I definitely misunderstood what you guys are saying about the length.
> That's clearly a problem for a lot of my values.

> I can switch them both to bigint. One table has 34,000,000 records
> and it's OK if this is hung up for a few minutes but not much longer
> than that - any chance this change might take longer than 5 or 10
> minutes?

Impossible to quantify to be honest - it will depend a lot on what the
server is doing at the time, how much RAM/CPU it has, etc. I'd
recommend duplicating the table to a different server entirely (a
local test box perhaps) and then running the change and timing it.

It's the only way you'll really know - at the very least I'd strongly
recommend you take the MySQL server totally offline when you make the
change. Not only will it do it faster, it will avoid anyone on the
site browsing into a world of pain.

Cheers,

Rich
--
Zend Certified Engineer
http://www.corephp.co.uk

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out of a window"