Secure Image Storage

Hello all,

Following up with my success last week with putting downloadable files in a directory above the web root and then using a combination of fopen and stuff to download the file, I am now trying to do something similar with images.

However, what I am trying to do is to put an image file above the web root, then use PHP to display that image in the web page, and not download it. I have the feeling that this isn't possible (all solutions I've seen involve using header() function, which won't work since this is midway down the page), but I wanted to make sure. This will return the binary source of the file:

print file_get_contents($file_path);

but doesn't display the image. Is there any way to have this (or something else) generate the image?
--
Kevin Murphy
Webmaster: Information and Marketing Services

P.S. Please note that my e-mail and website address have changed from wncc.edu to wnc.edu.