MAX_FILE_SIZE not working with file uploads

The punchline question is: What am I missing?

Now for the details.

I have a form through which a user uploads image files. In the event
the chosen file exceeds the MAX_FILE_SIZE (which I have included as
a hidden form field immediately after the form tag), I want to abort
the upload process and display an appropriate error message to the
user, including the size of the file s/he attempted to upload.

But that doesn't seem to be working.

Instead, the computer chugs along and then properly refuses to
perform the upload, but not immediately.

And here is the dump of the $_FILES array (which, notably, reports
zero as the size):

[code]
Array
(
    [userfile] => Array
        (
            [name] => beach_iStock_000000112348_L2.jpg
            [type] =>
            [tmp_name] =>
            [error] => 2
            [size] => 0
        )

)
[/code]

The file (about 1.2MB) DOES upload when I increase the MAX_FILE_SIZE
value to 2000000.

This, from PHP.net:
[quote]
The MAX_FILE_SIZE hidden field (measured in bytes) must precede the
file input field, and its value is the maximum filesize accepted by
PHP. Fooling this setting on the browser side is quite easy, so
never rely on files with a greater size being blocked by this
feature. The PHP settings for maximum-size, however, cannot be
fooled. This form element should always be used as it saves users
the trouble of waiting for a big file being transferred only to find
that it was too big and the transfer failed.
[/quote]

Here is the form code:

[code]
<form action="__URL__?action=sent" method="post"
enctype="multipart/form-data" name="upload" id="upload">
<input type="hidden" name="MAX_FILE_SIZE" value="1024000">
Filename on your PC:
<input name="userfile" type="file" size="45">
Please click ONCE and be patient:
<input name="Submit" type="submit" id="Submit" value="Upload File">
</form>
[/code]

Pertinent php.ini settings:
version = 4.3.10