Re: blocking exec() silently

shared hosting environments are interesting; ive sometimes wondered how i
might configure the environment
in such a scenario.

after revoking access to the exec() command you could allow the errors to be
sent to the browser
and recommend to users override the stock error handler as mentioned before
to suppress output of particular
error types (such as warnings [from calling exec() for example]).
that is a cumbersome solution at best.

it would be nice if there was a way to redirect output to an error log that
was dynamically selected based upon
the particular user in the shared hosing environment.  that way the clients
could easily decide if they wanted the
logging to go to the browser or to a file, and each client would have an
isolated file for error logging.

im not sure on the implementation details, but i believe youd do good to
research .htaccess files and php.ini
(assuming youre running apache as the webserver).
here<http://www.karakas-online.de/EN-Book/change-php-parameters.html>is
the first article that came up in a google search.
thats how 1and1 does it, via .htaccess

-nathan