RE: Re: PHP 5.2.3 - Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Jay Blanchard wrote:

> [snip]
> A core dump or an strace or some debug output at the right time will
> have 99% of the information you need - provided you understand how to
> read it.
> I submit there is generally no need to reproduce a problem in order to
> diagnose it.  To fix it, yes, it will undoubtedly help if you can
> reproduce it, but once you've diagnosed it, reproducing it is a
> lot easier.
> [/snip]
>
> Wouldn't it be nice to have 100% of the information? That last 1% may
> be the code that caused the problem.

It would be nice, yes.  In my previous professional life, I would
probably have asked the customer to set a SLIP trap to provide that
extra info.  That trap would be triggered/detriggered given the right
set of circumstances and could give me either a systems trace, maybe a
stand-alone dump or something else to assist me in locating the
problem.

Right now I'm trying to debug what I think is a race condition in spamd
(spamassassin) when it reloads the config.  Reproducing is out of the
question except by chance. To help me debug, I now run an strace every
time the daemon is sighup'ed.  It might be another couple of months
before it happens again.

> [snip]
> What's the purpose of a core dump if it does not provide the key
> information for solving a problem?  If I still have to isolate and
> reproduce the issue in user code, there seems to be very little need
> for the core dump, right?
> [/snip]
>
> Not so. A core dump, as you stated before, gives you most of the
> information. Having the code that appeared to have caused the problem
> is definitely welcomed. It helps to see what was occurring when the
> segfault happened. Would you not agree?

Oh, definitely.  The complete code should always be available to you,
but that's not the same as being able to reproduce the problem.

/Per Jessen, Zürich